Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm starting to find that my university's campus is an exciting place to explore. Not just physical places though, but exploring different social arenas through observation. My sociology class is rubbing off on me.


I walked home for lunch at about four, to make a sandwich. I bought those deli style turkey slices in a package with enough for a few sandwiches. Turned on the stove, heated the turkey while slicing cheese and spreading mayo on some sesame buns. Added some lettuce to finish off when the turkey finished heating after 5 min. Quick yummy lunch with some V8 juice.


For dinner today I had tortellini which I discovered that I love last week. I bought a huge frozen bag of it and threw some in boiling water while putting some chicken nuggets in the toaster-oven. Both finished in about 12 min. Then I put butter and squeezed half a lemon into the pot of tortellini (an idea from a good friend) and then added some tomato sauce. There was a little salad on the side. I like to put salads on the sides of dishes but you can also quickly heat up peas, mixed vegetables, or broccoli.


My New Year's Resolution this year had nothing to do with food or dieting. I told myself that I would initiate conversation with more people that I didn't know too well. At school I have been meeting a few people. But my spirits was dampened for a day by a student in Sociology class. I guess I was expecting students in that class to be, well, a little more social. I mean after all if you are interested in studying society and relationships between people I would think that you'd be a little more open in creating relationships and meeting people. I tried to strike up a conversation with this guy saying that I noticed him in my PreCalc. class. AND?!? was his response. "So where did you buy those lecture notes?". He responded "that class is so easy I don't see why you'd need the notes." OK. So not everyone responds well to open conversation with strangers. Even in a classroom environment. Like Sociology.

What I really have enjoyed about my school is the cool, humble, intelligent, funny, and open to conversations kind of people that I have met so far. There are some who do nothing more than drink on the weekends and gossip the next week about who they saw at what party. There are some cliquish ones who have found their circle and stop there, not venturing to strike even an academic discussion after class with peers. These are people I care not to meet. There is a certain level of maturity about a person who can strike an appropriate conversation with a stranger. Let's say it's a sort of art.

What do you all think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100 percent. Why have the people (especially the youth) become so stuck on the clique atmosphere. I art of talking to stranger is a great trait to obtain, I'm sure it will come to you if you have obtained it already. Your meals sound delicious. Another great addition to the blog.

    ReplyDelete